Thursday, August 09, 2007
Curriculum
In the last post, many people requested that I post our curriculum.

Overall, we use Alpha Omega curriculum. We use it for Language, History, Science, and Bible. We do not use their math, although I am going to try it this year for L and El. For the elementary kids (1st-6th), we use Singapore Math. Singapore is one of the top countries in the world in Math. This is the curriculum they use in their schools. We use the 3rd Edition, U.S. Edition. Their focus is on mental math, which really helped H a lot yesterday when she was not allowed a pencil and paper for the math portion of the test. Everything had to be done in her head-fractions, algebra, conversions, etc. Last year when H was in 7th grade, we used Saxon Math for her.

Some asked about Kindergarten. After this year, I will have used 3 different K curriculum based on my children's needs. For E and Z, I used Sing Spell Read and Write. It was very good, fast moving, accelerated, and extremely intensive. I knew J wouldn't get into all of the little songs, etc., but that he would need a little more challenge than a basic curriculum. Therefore, we used Alpha Omega's Horizons program for K and 1st grade. I also used Horizons spelling and vocabulary supplements for E, Z, and J (first and second grade), in addition to their regular language/phonics program.

This year, with El and L, I knew that an advanced curriculum would not be in order. L still gets really upset if he can't remember things or gets something wrong. I chose the basic AOP (Alpha Omega Publishing) Kindergarten program. I will let you know how it works for them. It is slower-moving, less demanding.

If you are considering homeschooling, the best time of year to buy curriculum is in the spring. Many companies have sales during that time. There are also several online discount sites. Another good resource is ebay. I buy a lot of my teacher's guides there and then just buy the student books for the kids from an online distributor. Many states also have homeschool book sales in May and June. Information about these is usually on the websites for the state homeschool organizations. With both ebay and homeschool sales, know the actual new book price before buying. Otherwise, you could end up spending more on a used book than on a new one once shipping, etc., is figured in. Also , check copyright dates and edition numbers for the most current ones. Some earlier editions are only changed slightly (i.e. new sentences, incorporating modern names for old ones, etc.). However, in Science and History, I like to have the latest editions for obvious reasons.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I know many people that use other curriculum that also seems very good. These are the ones that work best for our family.
posted by 6blessings @ 7:39 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    thanks for the info. Is your email working now? I have loads still to send you. What was the last thing I sent you?

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Liz Brack said…

    Hi Kim
    Just wanted to let you know I still read your blog and always enjoy it. I love hearing about the kids!! I've also shared some ideas with my dh from you. From handling chores with the kiddos to their spiratual growth. I've got him guessing now too on your big change.
    I have considered supplementing Bethany with her school work. Ive even looked at catalogs, but it was a bit overwhelming since I wasn't familar with it. She's a smart little thing and enjoys school, but I know she isn't challenged much at all. Between my 2 year old BOY and a new baby its hard for the one on one time. Any ideas?
    Keep the the blogging up. You're very inspiring to me. I should have commented that many many times before.
    Liz Brack

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    So much information. I'm impressed that you are able to use so many different programs. I'm sure they're all a bit different in how they are presented which takes time to learn and teach.

    Thanks for posting this with the links and everything. What age did you start the kids in school? (did you start them early or on schedule?)

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger kate said…

    I loooooove Saxon math! I've taught it for grades 2 & 3--and subbed for their middle/high school programs.

     
  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger Lea said…

    Thanks for posting this info!

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Jenni said…

    That's a lot of curriculum to go through and teach! It must have been quite a challenge to differentiate for all your kids, but based on your last post, it seems that you did and excellent job!

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Suma said…

    Is it Alpha Omega curriculum used on the whole..thats very effective..Mental math is very essential one apart from normal math, which is necessary for fast effective calculations in less time...

    cheers,
    suma valluru
    -----------------------------------------
    https://www.esumz.com

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Passing the Test
Big Change Hint #1
KidsFest
Changes
Lessons Learned while Rock Climbing
Blog List
Sad News
Home Safe and Sound
The Legend of Ole' Blue Fingers
Movin' to Level 2




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER