Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Passing the Test
As you know, we're sending our four oldest to public school this year after homeschooling for 5 years. The three younger ones were just admitted into their grade level. H, however, was required to test into her grade.

There were several reasons for this. First of all, the school required an achievement test on record. Secondly, she is twelve years old and entering the 8th grade. She went to Kindergarten and first grade at a public school. When we pulled her out to homeschool her, we tested her into the curriculum. She tested halfway through 3rd grade. Therefore, we skipped second grade and went on to 3rd.

After finally getting the school to return my call, we set up a testing appointment for this morning at 10 a.m. The school official said it would take 15-20 minutes, 30 minutes max. We dropped her off at the testing site and went on to the elementary school to turn in the other kids' registrations. We returned 15 minutes later and sat in the lobby. Then we sat, and sat some more, and sat some more. After about half an hour of waiting, the kids were incredibly restless so we went outside to walk around. About ten minutes later, H and the counselor emerged from the building.

Now, you have to understand that it wasn't just H being tested. This would be a test for me as a teacher and also to validate how good the curriculum we have been using is. H was nervous, but so was I. As the 15 minute test turned into 30 minutes, then into 45 minutes, and lingered on, there were two thoughts in my head. Either she was doing really well or she was doing really badly.

I knew which it was at the first sight of her exiting the building. She did incredibly well. The counselor said she had only had one other person actually complete the test. She said that H did really well and that she would be very successful in 8th grade. She gave me the test scores and I was shocked at what I saw.

In Reading Recognition, she tested 10th grade 9th month. In her total Reading, she tested 12th grade 1st month. In Reading Comprehension, Mathematics, and Spelling, she tested out of the 12th grade! I know these aren't college entrance exams and that she has a lot more to learn, but WOW! Out of 15 subareas, she scored 18 years 11 months on over half of them and about 16 years on the rest of them.

I guess we did okay with our schooling! I also have great faith in our curriculum now, since we will be going back to it with everyone next year (Hint #2).
posted by 6blessings @ 10:36 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Okay you're hint is perking my interest now.
    That is amazing Kim! WOW! I'm just blown away by how well she did.

    Can you e-mail me the curriculum you use. Someday soon I'll have to start looking into that.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Lea said…

    Wow, that is amazing! Congratulations teacher! I too would love to know the curriculum you use.

    My guess is that you are going into the mission field in another country.

    When do we get to find out??

    By the way, thanks again for the clothes and shoes. They are really cute!

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YEAH! Can you post the curriculum? My daughter is starting kindergarden and I would love some help on this! Of course it helps to have super smart and wonderful kids! Good luck with your adventure.
    Kristin

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I think you are opening up your own school. Did I get it right teach? What is the curriculum you are using?

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said…

    WOW!! I am so impressed! I am so proud of you both, and I'm sure she will do very well in her class this year.

    I can't wait to find out your news too!

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    Wow....the hard work on both your parts has paid off big time.

    I can't wait to hear hint #3... I think it is mission work.... Alaska?!?

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Elle said…

    Holy Cow! Way to go H! Yeah, you gotta post the curriculum you are using. Those of us with the Homeschool bug need to know.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger mommyto5 said…

    Wow how awesome, you must be so very proud!! I am also anxious to here of the big change:)prayers to you guys.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    As a homeschooling mom, I would love to know what curriculum you use. We've used Alpha Omega and Bob Jones, and have had great success with it. :)

     
  • At 3:59 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    That's awesome! Way to go, H. (And you!)

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger kim said…

    Congratulations... you must be incredibly proud. We were in a similar situation and it will be an enormous challenge for you to keep H challenged this year in school. Good luck... waiting with bated breath to find out about the "secret."
    ~ the other Kim thats reads a lot of the same blogs as you... and lives next door in Texas.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Chelley said…

    I just wanted to give you a huge pat on the back for been a GREAT mom and Teacger!!

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow! That's one smart cookie!!

    Maybe she can give us a few hints on the big news?

    I think you must be moving - not enough info yet to say why or where. hmmmmm...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Big Change Hint #1
KidsFest
Changes
Lessons Learned while Rock Climbing
Blog List
Sad News
Home Safe and Sound
The Legend of Ole' Blue Fingers
Movin' to Level 2
Blog Friend Meeting




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER