Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Spelling Champs

Okay, the holidays are over and now I'm going to play a little catch-up.


The first item of business is a mama's bragging rights. About mid-December, J's teacher sent home a note saying that he was one of the second grade spelling bee contestants from his class. In his school there are 6 second grade classes with about 22 kids per class, around 132 kids total. Each class chose its top 6 spellers to compete in the second grade spelling bee. The top four second graders overall moved on to the school-wide spelling bee. J did so well, and as usual, was very exact and professional in his spellings. He finished fifth. Therefore, he is an alternate if one of the top four can't do it. The picture above is him at the second grade bee. His teeth were so loose they were about to fall out.


Two days before Christmas break, Z got in the car and announced that out of her grade of approximately 130 kids, she made the top four and would be in the school-wide Spelling Bee. Both J and Z brought home a booklet full of words to study. The big spell-off is on January 16th. We have done a little studying, but with everyone being so sick, we haven't done as much as I would have like to have done over the break. (Z got the stomach virus on New Year's Eve. Six out of six. We like to do everything 100%! :-0 )


Anyway, I wanted to make sure that I posted about this great accomplishment. As you can tell, I'm really proud of them both!
posted by 6blessings @ 5:37 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    That's awesome!

    When I was a kid I made it to the state spelling bee. I had done well in city and regional, but I don't know who the heck these kids at states were. They were some serious spellers -- asking about origin and so forth. Once I asked for a word's origin just because that's what everyone else was doing. It was Latin -- I didn't know how that was supposed to help me. In the end, I spelled one word correctly at states and that was it. :-)

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger junglemama said…

    THat is awesome!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

The Church in Action
The First 8 Days of Christmas Break
A Reply From Santa
A Letter to Santa
All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth...
It's Official!!
Getting Back to Normal...Maybe
Good Morning!
Last Weekend- In Short
I Thought I Was Done Taking Tests!




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER