Friday, September 07, 2007
Asia It Is
As many of you "uncovered" in a previous post, we are moving to China. My husband is giving up his law practice and going to teach English in a university over there. He will have two years of intensive language learning and then be assigned to a university. We are so excited about serving in China.



As many of you know, we spent a year in China in 1995-96. We will be going to a different area this time. By next summer, we will have sold everything we own, except for probably a suitcase and carry-on for each family member. We will be gone for two straight years while D is learning language. Then we will be able to come back to the US for a few months in the summer of 2010 to visit. Every summer after that we will be able to return for a visit during the university's summer break.



We have always loved the Chinese people and their culture. We have thought about going back for many years. Last April, we began thinking heavily about it again and felt very directed that it was time for us to return. H was with us on the first trip, but none of the others. E, Z, and J have never even been on an airplane before.



We are busy learning Chinese with Rosetta Stone and hoping to get some tutoring also before we go. We found out about a Chinese school for language and culture very near to us, but so far that isn't going to work out because of when it takes place.



D has already given us all Chinese names and is progressing very well in his language acquirement. He has a Master's degree in Linguistics and is an extremely natural language learner. I, on the otherhand, am the extreme opposite. I can handle Spanish, easier languages like that, but Chinese is one of the most complicated languages there is because it is tonal.



Well, there it is. I'm thinking about starting a new blog in the next few months that would focus on this new adventure. If I do, it will probably be a private blog for many reasons. Of course, if you are a regular reader, you will just need to request an invitation. That's all a little ways down the road though. For right now I have enabled comment moderation, so bear with me in this phase. I appreciate everyone's comments, but from now on I must be careful about which ones I post publicly.
posted by 6blessings @ 9:43 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    Woo Hoo! I am "talking to our CEO" and thanking Him for you guys!!! I dream of the day my husband is on board with me on such a move. So for now... we will focus on our own back yard. Know that you will ALWAYS be in my conversations to our CEO. They will freak out with your large family. LOL!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger kate said…

    So thrilled and excited for the adventure you're starting out upon. I'm really curious about your new Chinese names. Is that too much for a public blog?

    Blessings!

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Wow, good luck to you and your family. I hope they all love living there.

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Hawk said…

    Congrats!

    I don't understand why the carefulness with coments and blog posts.. perhaps I'm missing something about the culture and such?

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Lea said…

    Wow, that's great! How exciting! I guessed it was something like this but, wow, China! And two whole years without coming back! Wow. How do the kids feel about it? Also, can you explain a bit about why you have to be so careful about what you say on your blog?

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger jessy said…

    Sign me up for when you go private.
    I'm so excited for you all! I'm a little scared, too. Everything will be so different. I can't imagine being out of the US until 2010.
    It is a strange, strange world we live in to be genuinly, personally, concerned for people you have never actually met. Maybe before you fly off to China, huh?

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! China! What an adventure you all will have.

     
  • At 3:28 AM, Blogger Chelley said…

    Wow wow wow wow!
    I am so very happy for you all...
    What an exicting time in your life it will be!!!

    I thought the day would never come when you were going to tell us!!!

    Please I would so so LOVE to be invtied to your new blog!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger A Room to Grow said…

    Wow, how exciting! I love Asian cultures as well... that's actually the "specialty" I'm working towards at work. Managing our Asia business... I've been over there a few times. Planning to go again in October (pending adoption plans). I can't wait to hear more!

    Congrats!

    (sign me up)

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jenni said…

    Wow! It sounds like there are some big changes and exciting times ahead for your family! I wish you all the best and hope that you have a wonderful time in China!

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    How exciting! What an adventure it will be for the entire family. I would love to be able to follow along on your other blog.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Wow. What an amazing thing to have happening in your lives! I was just telling my husband that I would love to move to Kazakhstan and teach English (three of our four kiddos are from there) and I love it there. You're living my dream! Congratulations!!

    Sarah

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow, what a huge move! Exciting, but a little scary at the same time I imagine. And what a career change for your husband. He's going to love it.

    I would love to be on the invite list for your new blog.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Cave Pictures
Our Trip Tour
Howdy Folks!
We're Outta Here!
Which One?
Field Trip
Great Quote
Birthday Presents
First Day of School
Quick Post




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER