Sunday, August 13, 2006
SopaPILLOW?
Yesterday was my birthday. My parents came down Friday and stayed overnight into Saturday. They took us all out to eat on Friday night. I craved Mexican food the whole time we were in Russia and since our return I had only had Taco Bell. Therefore, I picked a Mexican restaurant.

This was really the boys' first restaurant experience besides a lunch at IHOP. They were really into it. Everyone had their own bowls of salsa and cheese and the boys really loved it. Eventually, they just picked up their spoons and ate the cheese sauce like soup. Then the real food came. The boys were pretty full by then, but sampled some of several things- enchiladas, beans, guacamole, Mexican rice, etc. L was by me and when he was done he kept asking to go sit with babushka and dedushka. I kept trying to distract him from that endeavor until we were all done. Everyone finished eating and my dad ordered sopapillas. This is where it got funny.

The waiter brought out 10 sopapillas, one for everyone. He went around the table setting them in front of each person. L was one of the last to receive his. He looked at it, smiled, and said, "Padushka". I immediately started laughing. This is not a Russian word I might typically know, but after an experience we had in Moscow, I knew what it meant. "Padushka" means "pillow". He proceeded to pick up the sopapilla and act like he was going to lay his head on it. I caught him before his head hit it and proceeded to take a bite of mine to show that it was supposed to be eaten. After realizing this fact, he thoroughly enjoyed his sopaPILLOW. Who knows? The name may stick.
posted by 6blessings @ 5:40 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Cute story! I would imagine that sopapillas will forever be called SopaPillows at your house! My nephew called them SofaPillows when he was little and we still call them that to this day and he's 17!!

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Great story! Glad the boys liked Mexican.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    Oh my gosh! That is too adorable!
    Laura

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    HA! That is so cute. What a great restaurant experience. I'm glad you caught him before his head hit the sopapillow!

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How cute! Happy Bday last Saturday!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

It Has Arrived
Reality Issues
New Tastes
Random Tidbits
First Haircuts
New things
Quick Update
Family pics
Introducing My 2 New Sons
We're home!




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER