Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Contrasting Songs
Okay, this post is going to be a little off the ordinary, but it is something that has been gnawing at me a lot recently. At the gym that I coach at, music is constantly playing in the background. Depending on who gets in the gym first, we may have to listen to rock, country, or anything else. I prefer Christian pop/rock music- the same good beat, much better lyrics. In fact, many times, I have found the lyrics coming from the stereo very appalling and even embarrassing. I can't believe some of the stuff that is played over the open air. What's worse is when the 6- 12 year old kids I coach are singing the lyrics religiously.

Anyway, recently it has been set on country. One song keeps coming on over and over. It is a fun little tune with a good sound, but when you really pay attention to the lyrics, it kind of hit me hard. The song is "I Wanna Talk About Me". I understand the gist behind the song is that the woman is talking incessantly about herself and the man wants a turn, but the heart behind it bothers me.

Here are the lyrics of the chorus:

I wanna talk about me,
I wanna talk about I
I wanna talk talk about number one,
old my me my
What I think, what I like, what I know,
what I want, what I see
How I like talkin' 'bout you you
you you usually
But occasionally, I wanna talk about me
I wanna talk about me (me me me me me)
I wanna talk about me (me me me me me)
You you you you you you you you you you you
I wanna talk about me

I had just listened to that song in the gym today again, then I got in my car to drive home. I have a new Passion Praise and Worship CD and here's the lyrics to the song that was on when I turned on the car.

It's all about You, Jesus
And all this is for You
For Your glory and your fame
It's not about me
As if You should do things my way
You alone are God
And I surrender to your ways

Do you see the difference as blatantly as I do? Our world seems so focused on ME, I, MY. How can we serve God if our focus is on ourselves so much? I am just as guilty as anyone. I desire to be selfless, always giving in everything, but my sinful nature always seems to step in. I get jealous, greedy, and prideful. Wouldn't our world be a much better, much different place to live if we took the focus off of me, I and my and put it all on Him. This is my true heart's desire. Forgive me Father when I fail.
posted by 6blessings @ 10:58 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    I have felt the same thing about music. I have never cared for the country song you mentioned... As long as songs like that are being played on the airways, folks will continue to be self absorbed!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Tereasa said…

    Hi there! I just found your blog through the Open Window. I enjoy your comments and decided to check you out. You are a Christian!! That's wonderful!

    I love this post! Music and other media can be powerful tools. It is so important to keep tabs on what goes into our hearts. I hope you can influence your kiddos at the gym to make wiser choices!

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I will fight pop music as long as I can with my kiddos. I'm sure they will be exposed to plenty of it (and already are at school sometimes) but, like you said, it's a heart thing. Our focus should not be on ourselves, though we often fail at this. Music has a big influence on society. Half the time people don't even pay attention to the ideas that are being planted in their heads, otherwise I don't think pop music would be so popular. In our house and car we only listen to Christian music.

    If you (or your readers) can get KLOVE in your city I highly recommend it. If it's not available in your area, their broadcast is also streamed live on the internet at klove.com. I love that this station is broadcast nationally in so many locations. So many people all over the country and all around the world (via internet) all praising God to the same music at the same time - Now that's corporate worship!

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    Yeah, and the crazy part of it is that when we are focused on Him, we are SO much happier than when we are focused on ourselves. My life is so much better when He drives.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Books for Kenyan/Liberian Schoolchildren
Readoption
7 year old J
Summer Craziness
Happy Anniversary, D!
No Training Wheels
Birthday- Part 1
Six Years Ago
Good news
Awards and Updates




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER