Sunday, December 24, 2006
Merry Christmas!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS
FROM OUR FAMILY
TO YOURS!!!

I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

We have so much to be grateful for this year, like so many others. Of course, our biggest thing this year is that our sons are home and our family is complete. Throughout our adoption journey, we have learned so much about our adoption by God. Many of you know that I'm a Christian. During this time of year, we celebrate what I believe is the greatest gift ever- the birth of Jesus Christ.

I'd like to spin the story of Jesus a little- to an adoption blog world.

Romans 8:14-17: “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.”

I am adopted. I have two biological parents, but I have been adopted by God into His family. Over the past year, I have discovered so many parallels that I just wanted to share a few today- the day we celebrate Jesus' birth.

1. COST-
It costs a lot to finance an adoption, less for some kinds, more for others, but costs nonetheless. It costs not only money, but also time and many other sacrifices. The cost for our adoption into God's family was the life of God's only son, Jesus. He paid the price so that we might become God's children.

2. CHOSEN-
We were able to choose/approve of our kids before our adoption. We had to sign letters of acceptance. Christ chose us. He knew who we were and what all of our problems were and still chose us to be His children.

3. BAGGAGE-
When we lost our first boys and were given our sons as our new referrals to accept or deny, we found ourselves going through all of their problems. They were older, language would be a big problem, they had many health issues, etc. As we were mulling these over trying to decide what to do, D said the most profound thing. He said that he sure was glad God just accepted him with all of his baggage and didn’t sit around worrying about whether he was good enough or if He could handle all he might throw at Him. Of course, as humans we cannot handle everything, but God can. We realized that we came with so much more “baggage” than our sons would come with, yet God loved us and took us in with no regard to all of the baggage that came with our dirty selves. Our past, no matter how complicated, didn't weigh in on whether He accepted us or not.

4. ACCEPTANCE-
Before our court day, we had to have a social worker observe us with the children. During that time, the boys were asked if they wanted to accept our offer of going to live with us in America and having us as their parents. Obviously, they answered positively. We, too, are given the duty of just accepting the gift offered to us. We can accept or reject the gift of joining God’s family. The decision is totally up to us. It is one that is only made in two ways – yes or no. It is a free gift, with no strings attached.

5. NEW CREATION-
The only thing we took from the orphanage on the day the boys finally became ours was our kids. We had to strip them down, leave their old clothes behind, and put them in their new ones. This struck me heavily. They were taking off the old way of life- orphanage clothing, and putting on the new- sturdy, well-made clothes and shoes that lit up. We come with nothing when we come to Christ. We take off the old way of life and put on the new. We become a new creation.

6. NEW NAME-
At first I had very mixed feelings about changing the names of five year olds. We kept their Russian names as their middle names, but gave them new names, including a family name that showed they belonged to us. They are C's, part of our family forever. When we accept Christ, He gives us a new name, a family name, Christians.

7. WAITING-
Anyone who has been in the adoption arena for very long knows that the most excruciating thing is the waiting. Some wait longer than others, but everyone has to endure the wait. God is waiting. For some he waits just a little time, for others he waits a long time. His desire is to be united with each one of His children in a relationship. He aches for us and longs to have fellowship with us, just as each of us long to meet our referral or bring our child/children home. Just as we long to make them fully ours, so He longs to make us fully His.

These are just a few of the comparisons that have been shown to me over this adoption journey. Maybe I will share more later. My heart was just burdened to share. I know many of you out there have heavy hearts today because your child isn't home yet, or maybe you've lost someone this past year, or maybe you just need some hope. My prayer is that this post today might lighten someone's load. God cares for you and wants to walk with you on this journey of adoption and the journey of life. All it takes is a simple yes. My purpose in this post was not to offend, but hopefully to help and encourage. I hope you each have a very Merry Christmas!!! Happy Birthday Jesus!
posted by 6blessings @ 1:33 PM  
11 Comments:
  • At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    -teary eyed- You nailed it Kim!
    Love you all alot!

    Merry Christmas!!!!

    Love,

    Lorrie & Family

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A wonderfully amazing testimony both of your adoption, but also of "God's" very precious love for every one of us. I know this has been a particular burden, Kim, and I believe you did so well in explaining the gospel of the "good news" of our wonderful Jesus!!! Merry Christmas to my precious family there. Love, Mom and Dad

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Hawk said…

    Merry Christmas to your family. You all just look so complete in your picture, it's amazing. I read your post and it really hit hard, all the parallels and all that Christ has done for us, everyone.

    Hope you and yours enjoy the holiday season.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Thanks! This is a beatiful post. You exlpained it all so well. Some things I would never have thought of. You've made me think... and that's a good thing. I am going to start this new year and phase in our adoption learning more of what God has to say about it. Thanks for inspiring me.

    Your family picture is great.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    I've never thought of it that way, Kim. You know that faith and religion are a sticky point in my life. It's something I've never resolved or come to terms with. I believe in God and the basic principles of Christianity -- it's what I was raised with. But as an adult I find myself questioning and doubting so many things. I have an inability to rely on faith.

    Despite my ambiguous beliefs, strong faith is something I admire and crave. I just have never been able to get there. I never once thought of God being in the same shoes as I am, so to speak -- waiting for a child. Waiting for me. That's profound.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful and so interesting and true. You are a beautiful person, Kim. Thank you for taking the time to share! Your picture is perfect!
    K

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your post made me cry. It was so beautiful and so true. Thank you for writing this.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Ani said…

    What a beautiful family, and a heart-warming post. It all rings so true.
    Happy Christmas to you and your family!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jenni said…

    What a beautiul family portrait Kim!

    While I have always struggled a bit with religion (there seem to be things in various religions that I can believe and others that I have difficulty with), I love the way you drew parallels between the adoption of your boys and God's adoption of all his children in the Christian faith. It is wonderful that the addition of two amazing boys not only completed your family, but also added a new dimension to your spiratul faith. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

    I hope you had a wonderful
    Christmas!

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger kate said…

    Amen.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    What a beautiful Christmas message. Thank you for sharing it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

5 months
All I Want For Christmas is My 4 Front Teeth
He's Making a List...
More doctors visits
Christmas Claus
Odds and Ends
Snowman Contest- Vote Now
The First Snow
Turkey Cookies
Quick funny post




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER