Tuesday, February 27, 2007
TV Special
As you know, my boys are all gone for a few days. One of my mom's "requirements" for their time away was that I take some relaxation time. I NEVER watch TV, maybe an hour or two per month at the very most. Anyway, I decided to turn it on last night and wanted to share about the great program I watched.

My husband has a running joke about my days. He says, "What did you do all day- watch Oprah?" Well, he and I and anyone else know that this is so far from reality that it isn't even funny. Anyway, last night, I watched the Oprah special. It was called, "Building a Dream." She built a huge girls' school in South Africa. It is top notch. She took applications from girls all over South Africa. She was a part of the entire process, including the interviews, attendee selection, decoration and furniture for the dormitories, libraries, dining hall, etc. The school is totally free to all who attend. She also vowed to pay for any girls' college tuition upon graduation from the school.

All of the girls were from extremely poor families and communities. Her goal was to give the brightest girls with the greatest leadership abilities a chance of a lifetime. Now, I didn't necessarily agree with the criteria for acceptance, but I guess her goal is to give those with leadership abilities a chance that they may not otherwise have. The curriculum at the school is incredibly tough and demanding.

I let my girls stay up and watch it with me. At the end, E said, "I'll never gripe again about anything." I'm sure that isn't true, but my girls saw what poverty looked like and how grateful these young girls were to get a chance for a real education, to be cared for by others, and to be able to eat three meals a day. Not to mention taking showers, having indoor plumbing, electricity, etc.

The girls' stories were heartbreaking. It showed the people that were behind these beautiful little ones, many of whom were orphaned by their parents through various circumstances. Some had been abandoned and several had watched their parents die. Many were being taken care of by other relatives, usually grandmothers who did their best to survive. It was so uplifting to see what had been done to help those children. So many times, I get very frustrated with how celebrities (and others) "blow" their money when I know the needs that exist all around the world. She is doing something about it.

The special is supposed to air again this Saturday at 7 p.m. Central time on ABC. Did anyone else see it? What did you think?
posted by 6blessings @ 12:07 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Jennefer said…

    That sounds like a great show. I am like you though and I don't have a lot of time to watch TV. I wish I had TIVO. When I ever get a chance to watch TV there is nothing good on. Maybe I'll get a chance on Saturday. Oprah's great!

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Your children are beautiful! I am watching the Oprah re-run right now.
    Thanks for the congratulations!
    hugs,
    Laura

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Circus Fun
Language Progressions
7 Months...Still Learning
Hoping to Preserve Culture and Language
Happy Valentine's Day
Doing Better
Living for the Weekend
Mixed-up Feelings and Other Odds and Ends
Surprise Letter!!!
Lemons, Gerbils, and Diseases




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER