Friday, July 18, 2008
Auction Update
I've been working on a video of the auction to put on here, but it's not going so quickly. Therefore, I thought I'd give everyone a quick update and post it later when I get it done.

The auction day was an absolute blessing. Many people showed up bright and early that morning to help us move everything out into the yard. What should have taken hours was done in one hour that morning because of all of the wonderful help we had.

Attendance for the auction was pretty low. However, most of the people who were here were either family or church friends. Some showed up just to support us. It was a little slow at first and we had trailers half full of boxes go for $5 and $7. That was a little hard to swallow. Most of the prices paid for our things were pretty low. Believe me, you could have got some real bargains, cheaper than garage sale prices sometimes. However, some things went well, like D's car and the Cub Cadet mower.

At the end of the day, we looked back and were pleased. The goal of getting rid of everything we owned had been accomplished. We knew that many of the people who bought the items at incredibly low prices really needed the stuff, including several single moms. Some people, including a 7-year-old foster boy, bought bags of our blankets to donate to a project our church is working on to send blankets to Kazakhstan and Morroco. One friend personally bid way more than the auctioneer started at on an item just to help us out. Even the good friend that bought the trailers full of boxes at next to nothing said the stuff was for a benefit garage sale to help a man injured in a motorcycle wreck who isn't able to make ends meet right now.

We were just completely blessed by the sheer outpouring of love for our family. Some people helped prepare for the auction during the week, some ran concessions, some stayed all day and cleaned up, some tried to bid items up to help sales, some asked us how we were doing, some set up early, some tore down late, some just came, and some did all of the above. All of the workers, including the auctioneers volunteered their time to us that day. Almost all of our family was there. I have never felt more loved or blessed.


The next day at church, the auction lived on. I was helping to sort some clothes our church is shipping to people in Morocco (that's where all of our clothes went) and watched a lady pull 3 of our best coats out of a bag. Someone had bought them at the auction and had donated them the next morning. Many people asked how the auction went and all we could say is that GOD WAS THERE. He walked and breathed in every volunteer that helped, every bid that occured, and was present in our hearts with a peace that passed all understanding. I felt like a free bird that day. All of the worldly possessions that tied me down were gone and I felt a freedom like I never had before. Jesus walked among us that day and we were so glad that we could give back to Him everything He had given to us.
posted by 6blessings @ 8:11 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I was wondering how it went. Sounds like an amazing experience. Glad that it went well and you were touched by generosity of others.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    wow, I dont know if I have ever felt that free.

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger jessy said…

    What a powerful testimony. To me, it speaks the most to the raising of your kids. It is a good thing you are about to leave the country, else you might find me on your doorstep, ready for lessons.
    I can almost see myself getting rid of all my worldly posessions--the total freeling of freedom that you speak of--but I can't get my mind around my children doing the same. When we lost a large portion of our household in the hurricane, they were devestated. I'm amazed at how they remember (almost three years later) the littlest item and have true sadness for it. I wonder if the difference is because it was an unexpected disaster and you have been able to prepare them for this time? Do the children have a sense of adventure about the whole thing? I'm fascinated by this, so please share.
    Incidently, out pastor preached on worldliness and being weighed down by things this morning. Is the Lord trying to tell me something?

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Chris Goeppner said…

    I'm so glad you guys were blessed. We are very excited for you and your upcoming adventure! You will be in our daily prayers.
    Please allow us to follow your blog in China!
    Blessings,
    Penny

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger kate said…

    What a wonderful event! And, now you can move forward. How exciting! I've been doing some reading about your new country. I hope, hope, hope you'll still be able to blog once you're there.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just wanted to write and say that i have been reading your blog and am so amazed at your heart and life that shines for Jesus!!! we adopted our little boy from vlad, russia july 6, '06. we were in russia the same time adopting our cuties!!! i found your blog through adrienne's blog and have gone back and read your blog from the beginning. what a road you've been on. God is good ALL the time!!! looking forward to hearing your adventures and how God leades you in the new life you're starting.
    christina benkwagner@yahoo.com

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Chris Goeppner said…

    Thanks for your comment Kim. I do wish we could rescue that precious girl but we'll see what God does.
    I wish I could take credit for the pics but almost all of them are taken my Chris' sister who is an excellent photographer.=)
    I've been thinking about you guys and I'm so excited for you. Please send me a link to your new blog!
    Blessings,
    Penny

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Auction Time
2 YEARS
Camping
8 YEARS OLD!!
Mirror Image Twins?
Happy 7th Birthday Bwins!!!
Gymnastics Finale
Events in the News
Wrapping Things Up Around Here
Thank You




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER