Friday, August 25, 2006
First Day of School



We had our first day of school Thursday. This will be my fifth year to homeshchool. Before anyone gets offended, we are not against public schools or anything like that. Our original reason for homeschooling was because of H's demanding gymnastic schedule and the distance we lived from the gym. When we moved last year, we considered public school again, but felt the kids had already had enough transition to deal with over the summer. Then this year we really talked long and hard about our educational options and how far I could be stretched. We decided that we would continue to homeschool and foster the sibling bond that was forming with the new children.

H is 11 and in the 7th grade this year. E and Z are 8 and in 3rd grade. J is 6 and in 1st grade. L and El are five and doing preschool. Therefore I am schooling 6 kids in every subject in 4 different grades. My one exception is that D is doing H's science this year. We also got her history curriculum on the computer. Her math has a CD that teaches each lesson before she works her problems. This was my one requirement before schooling this year- help with H's curriculum.

So now my day is filled with schooling, cooking, cleaning, being mommy and then going to work at the gym every night. I slept so hard last night! The kids are doing really well. So far, so good. El and L really like their books and have learned the letter A and the colors red and blue. They knew their colors already, but are now learning them in English. They can also count to 10 in English.

The pics above are of our schoolroom and the kids' new school stuff. Yes, we go to the classroom and don't leave until work is done every day. H has her desk in her room right next to the schoolroom.
posted by 6blessings @ 9:13 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    I love your classroom. We plan to home school as well if we are in the position to financially.
    I am so glad to know there are so many resources to use when they get older. As I don't remember geometry very well.
    Glad the kids are all doing well.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    You are one BUSY Mom! I admire you, Kim. That is quite a feat.

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Carolina Mama said…

    This is so exciting to see. I thought it was their school somewhere else you have done such a great job. I was wondering how L is doing physicall and emotionally since your post about last weekend. We've been praying. I do admire your work and family values.

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    We'll be homeschooling to, mostly for attachment reasons. Love the school room pics.

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I give you credit. You have a lot on your plate. I always wondered what was involved in homeschooling. A lot of people ask me since I teach public school, but I only have met one person before that actually does it. Your class is cute. Your kids are lucky to have a mom like you.

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow- you are amazing. I don't know how you do it, but you must be very proud of all you accomplish with your kids. What a great classroom!

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger sandy said…

    Kim, you are one amazing woman. I can't believe you are able to do all of that! The classroom looks really fun. Hope the school year is going well so far. The twins start kindergarten in two days. One of these days I'll actually start writing in my own blog about it!

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger Jenni said…

    As a teacher in the public school system, I have to say that I am not at all offended by your choice to homeschool your kids. I think the classroom looks like a great environment for learning! However, how you are able to manage so many different curriculums is beyond me! :) You must be incredibly organized (and incredibly busy). You've definitely earned my admiration!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Medical Issues/Deep Emotional Pain
One month ago today...
Bloggy Movement
Look, up in the sky! . . .
SopaPILLOW?
It Has Arrived
Reality Issues
New Tastes
Random Tidbits
First Haircuts




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER