Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Happy 60th Birthday, Mom!!


Today, October 10, 2006, is my sweet mother's 60th birthday!!! She does not look, nor seem, 60 to me. Of course, I'm still a gal in her young 20s, right?! Not!! Anyway, I just wanted to dedicate this post to her.

My mom grew up in Missouri. She had one brother. Her dad was a hard working man who managed a grocery store. Her mother also worked. They stayed busy trying to make ends meet. In 1967, my mom and dad got married and I was born in 1970. They added my sister to the family in 1974. My mom was a nurse. In our young growing up years she stayed home, but also worked as a nurse in a nursing home. When we moved to Oklahoma, my mom was able to stay home entirely. She was always there to help with school functions and cuddle us when we were home sick. She worked hard keeping our house in order, cooking meals, running the household items, driving us everywhere, etc. When we got a little older, she took on a job as the secretary at our local Christian school. She was loved by all there. She had a special way about her that all of the kids loved. She was reliable and did a great job with her secretarial duties. She always went above and beyond what she needed to do.

Over the last few years, my mother has had a lot of grief in her life. My grandfather, her dad, passed away on Christmas Eve 1994, after battling with many illnesses. I was living in China when it happened. They called on their Christmas Eve, my Christmas morning (H's first Christmas), and gave me the news, but not until after listening to us tell all about H's first Christmas. That's just the kind of person mom is. Her dad was a special man who always made me laugh. Her only brother took his life not too long after that. Then on my birthday, August 12, 2005, her mother passed away. This was very hard. She had a stroke and was incoherent. Everything had to be done for her. She just laid there. My mom sat by her hospital bedside for a month between the stroke and her death talking to her, singing to her, and just loving her. She and my mother were very close. My mom was a wonderful daughter.

My mother is an amazing woman. She has the gift of encouragement. She is a writer. She spends a lot of her week writing letters and sending cards to those in need. She does behind-the-scene jobs at her church. She is a wonderful grandmother (babushka) to all of her grandkids. She loves each one of them in a special way, taking in all of their strengths and encouraging them even in their weaknesses. She is sensitive to each of their individualized needs. She is a mom who is always there when I call and need a shoulder to lean on or just need to talk. She listens and is genuinely interested in everything I have to say. She always sends encouraging cards and notes to both me and my kids. Throughout our adoption process, mom was the one person I knew I could count on to pray for us and support us always, no matter what happened. She never condemned or asked, "Are you sure you're doing the right thing?" She always had faith in our decision and in our calling.

She is a wonderful mother. This last weekend we went to visit her for her birthday. It was the boys' first trip to MeMa's (babushka's) house. We had family pics made with everyone so our new additions would be included. We went to a rodeo revival. We spent a ton of time with cousins. After the big OU/Texas football game, we got pizza and had cake and presents. The pics above are of the birthday party. She collects nativities. When we were in Russia, we bought her the nativity above for her collection. We waited until her birthday to give her the special gift. It was hand-carved and hand-painted. The pieces are all detachable. It is very simple, yet very unique. I couldn't wait to give it to her. We went to church on Sunday morning and my mom got to "show off" her two new grandkids to everyone who had been praying for us. Let me tell you, she was one proud grandma!! We enjoyed the weekend so much and were so glad to spend it with her.

Happy Birthday, Mom!! I love you so much and I am so grateful that God gave you to me for a mom. He couldn't have blessed me with a better mom . Have a great day!! I hope it's the best birthday ever!!
posted by 6blessings @ 6:15 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Happy Birthday! Your mom sounds wonderful. You truly are blessed to have her as a mom. Glad you all had a good time celebrating her birthday.

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Happy birthday to your mom!

    You made me tear up there, Kim. Your mom sounds just great! No wonder you're such a good mother, too.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    What a nice tribute! Happy birthday mom!

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's 11p.m. and I have just read this post!!! Oh how I wish I had read it earlier today!! It's been a busy and happy birthday for me and just now I've had time to stop and read your blog Kim. Yes, Yes, you made your "old" mom cry!!!! All I can say is that my daughter is three times ( at least) better than her mom!!! She's one I admire so much!! I have NEVER seen anyone so self sacrificing!!! I can never measure up to her!!! She is MY hero in so many ways and I love her SO much!!! I loved my Nativity and thank you and Damon so much for your willingness to tote it so far for me to have a special gift from Russia for my BIG "60" birthday!!!! I had a wonderful birthday with all my family and all my sweet grandbabies, the "old" ones and the "new" ones!!!! God has SO blessed me and I am very thankful!!!! Love, Mom

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger jessy said…

    Well, it doesn't surprise me that your mom is a good writer! ;0)
    Happy Birthday!

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Suzanne said…

    What a loving post. I think my Mom and yours are quite similar. I just hope to be as good of a Mama as mine is.

     
  • At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kim,
    Your mom is my cuz! I love her tooo! She is truly a wonderful person and we are truly blessed to call her family. She looks so good in this picture. She is happy and we know why. :)

    Sending our love and prayers.
    K

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

3 visits down + one + stomach virus
Two visits down...add one
One visit down...
Soccer Star
All Bundled Up
Waiting
2 Months
Adoption Shower
L's Endoscopy
Ownership and Outings




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER