Thursday, September 14, 2006
L's Endoscopy
L's hospital "treat"

Well, it's over. Thank goodness! L was scheduled for his endoscopy at 8:30 a.m. this morning. We arrived a few minutes early and waited and waited and waited. At around 9:40 a.m. they called him back to be weighed. It was then that the nurse informed us that they had made a scheduling mistake and had booked us for Sept. 14, 2007! Therefore, they were having to hustle around and get labels and paperwork for his charts. They squirted some numbing lotion on the top of both of his hands and covered them with plastic. Then they sent us back to the waiting room.

At about 10 a.m. they called us back to the procedure room. He was really doing okay at this point. They gave him a preventative antibiotic for his heart since we haven't seen the cardiologist yet and chloralhydrate to help relax him. Then we changed him into his gown. The nurse brought him a Piglet sticker. He took one look at it and said, "Etta", and then snorted. The nurse got a big kick out of that.

He laid on the table and got downright goofy. His legs kept moving and he kept rolling side to side. He talked non-stop. To me, he was getting more wired-up instead of relaxing. Then came the heplock and the needles. At this point, it was like Jekyll and Hyde. He turned stone cold and stiff-faced. They had to try on both hands before successfully installing it. They gave him the Demerol and Verced. Soon after, he started choking and gagging. The nurses rushed to suction him. He did this several times. The doctor came in about this time. I asked if it was normal. No one answered quickly enough for me. Finally the doctor said, "Yeah, it's okay." I'm not sure that answered my question.

I was then told it was time for me to leave. He was pretty groggy, but not asleep yet. I reluctantly left and sat nervously trying to read my Sunday School lesson in the waiting room. I don't remember much of it. I heard some crying. It was faint and I couldn't tell if it was him or not. There was so much crying in that office! About 20 minutes later, they told me I could come into recovery with him. He was crying and sobbing hard. He had been awake for the entire thing!! The nurse said they tried to give him more medicine to knock him out, but she said she's seen this before in traumatized kids who have been in a lot of medical situations. They actually know that they are being drugged to sleep and have a weird ability to fight it off because of fear of the unknown. She said he was mad and fought all the way through.

I held him the best I could considering there were a million tubes hooked to him. I rocked his pillow back and forth and whispered quietly to him. At first he wouldn't even look at me. I had been told that he would be asleep when I left and that I would be there when he woke up. I had told him everything was okay, not to be scared, Mama would stay with him. I am struggling with whether he thinks I lied to him. I told him I would stay, then I left him, they did hurtful things to him, and then I came back. He finally rolled his head back to me and started to calm down. He cried off and on for the next 10 minutes or so.

The doctor came in and said he had interesting findings. He said that he couldn't even get the scope down his esophogus. He tried several times, but it wouldn't go through. He said he even tried to lightly push it through and it wouldn't go. He finally had to use the infant scope and it was able to slide down. He said he had a stricture and that his esophogus was only about 9mm wide at that point. He said it was in a very odd place and that is why the barium swallow didn't show anything.

So, what now? He is being scheduled for another barium procedure that is a little different. It will be observed by the x-ray department, the GI department, and a speech therapist. He will swallow the liquid to light up his insides and then he will have to eat foods with different textures and sizes. They will observe how it goes down and his swallowing, etc. Then they will consult with a surgeon and schedule a date for surgery. Yes, more surgery, more medical trauma. I cry every time I think about him having to go through more procedures and eventually surgery again.

He wouldn't sleep in recovery at all, but was extremely limp as I carried him across the hospital, across the street and to the parking garage. He didn't sleep for a while even in the car. Finally he gave up. He slept for about an hour and a half when we got home. I got him to eat a little food and drink a milkshake I had bought for him. Now he is running around, doing fine. Although, he did just tell me, "Spat(sleep)".

Debbie, you would love the little pillow they gave him as his "treat" at the hospital(pic above). It was handmade- yellow gingham on one side and Pooh Bear print on the other. They said they looked for a pig so he could snort again, but just found Piglet on the pillow. He loves his new 'padushka'.

Thanks for all of your prayers for us today. It was really rough and definitely difficult. It looks like we've got quite a road ahead of us too. We know that God has him in His hands and that is why he is home with us to get the care he needs. I'll let you know more when we know more.
posted by 6blessings @ 1:49 PM  
15 Comments:
  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My heart goes out to both of you. As a mother I could identify with some of your feelings. What a draining day for you both.

    I had an aunt that has a handicapped child. He too could fight off the effects of the drugs. During one of his procedures, he was not relaxing and going to sleep. She asked to be given some time alone with him. She massaged his forehead and talked to him softly. Not sure what else she may have done. He did relax and went to sleep. There was no way though it was going to happen with the medical staff.

    Just a thought. Mothers know how to help their children to relax. No doubt you can do it better than anyone.

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Melissa said…

    I am so sorry to hear what you both went through. It has got to be hard. I think I would have cried when the doctor told you the news if I was in your shoes. I hope the next procedure is easier.]

    The pillow is cute.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger A Room to Grow said…

    sounds like a long day but it must be somewhat reassuring to be working through his medical issues even though it's hard to see him with pain/discomfort. hang in there!

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Oh that poor baby! I can't believe he was awake through it all. I'm so sorry it was such a bad day for him and for you.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    Yes I love the pillow. And the snort was so cute!
    I'm so glad he is home with you all. He is in such good care with you.
    Sounds like he had an awful time though. I will continue praying.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Rhonda said…

    Oh Kim. I can't imagine how hard it was for you to leave him. It sounds like he's OK now, but at the time, I'm sure it was really difficult. He is definitely in my prayers. I hope the rest of the procedures are MUCH smoother.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor little guy.

     
  • At 5:14 AM, Blogger Carolina Mama said…

    So sorry to hear how difficult this was. I just keep thinking how big of a miracle it is that he has you and the family and is here and can be loved through it and even get the proper care. How is E doing - is he aware of how hard it is for brother? The twin bond is so strong. I know with my boys one will say he has the same thing b/c it hurts them to see the other one hurt. Be stong! Love & Prayers!

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My son required stitches on his chin and I was told to leave so they could strap him down to a board to keep him still. It was not implied that I had any choice, but I refused to leave and stayed to hold his hand, look into his eyes and talk him through it. I wanted to puke when they were washing his cut--but I managed to act like it was no big deal until later when my son (or the doctor)couldn't see. They were amazed at how calm he was and said most all children fight the board strapping--duh. Many medical professionals believe in the 'bring mommy back after to take away the pain' theory (the child doesn't associate you with the painful procedure that way). Not sure it is ever a valid theory, but particularly questionable for children who are familiar with abandonment and learning attachment. Now I do know plenty of moms who can't stomach the procedures and everyone is much better with them not in the room. If you can handle it and look strong for L-- I would recommend that you push to be present and hold his hand for anything allowed.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kim. This is your second cousin Kathy in Texas. Your mom has kept us posted on the boys. We are so thrilled that you finally have them home. I was shocked to read about the endoscopy. I can't imagine how terrifed you were and then to find out he had been awake. Your boys are beautiful in their pictures and so blessed to have God's love. I am so sorry for these children's sufferings and I have all of you in my prayers. Please know we care.
    Love,
    Kathy

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Oh my that was rough I'm sure. I'm so glad he finally relaxed into you and found some sleep. Sweet too that the hospital gave him that pillow.

    I hope they will be able to find the right stuff to put him to sleep next time! Maybe now that they know.

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I don't understand why some kids have to go through so much pain. This little boy has been through way too much. You are so perfect for him. Don't beat yourself up too much about not being there. You thought he would be out. I hope he eternalizes your love and care. How scary for everyone. I will continue to pray for your family.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kim,

    What an awful time that had to have been. I am so sorry that it was so diffcult for L. We will be praying for all of you as he goes thru more procedures. Give your kiddos all hugs and tell them "hello" from their Hydro friends.

    Lorrie

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hi Kim!!

    Thanks for the comments on my blog. :) I was so sad reading your most recent post about your son's experience. The Mama Bear in me was so mad for the Mama Bear in you that they did that procedure without him being asleep. I hope, as someone suggested, that in the future you are allowed to stay with him to help calm him. I'm sure a lot of trust was lost for you, because I know you would have never left him if you hadn't completely believed them and trusted that he would have been sleeping. I think it was inexcusable what they did and they should have come and gotten you. My thoughts are with you.

    Sarah

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger sandy said…

    That was heartbreaking. I'm am so very sorry to hear about that horrible horrible experience for you and L. I didn't realize that it was possible to fight off the anesthesia like that, and I can't believe the staff went ahead with the procedure even though he was awake! Poor poor L. I totally feel for you and L now, especially with more procedures ahead. I will pray that you both have the strength, courage and love to make it through what has to come. And that the tests and the surgery are swift, painless and low-stress. I'll pray that he can be safely anesthetized for all future procedures that require it.

    So it is possible to surgically enlarge the constricted area of the esophagus? Will he be able to eat and drink normally for his lifetime after he's healed? I hope that once he's been through all this he can put it behind him. Sending hugs to you, Sandy

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Ownership and Outings
I've Been Tagged
Count Your Many Blessings
Hugs and Progress
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue?
First Day of School
Medical Issues/Deep Emotional Pain
One month ago today...
Bloggy Movement
Look, up in the sky! . . .




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER