Saturday, September 02, 2006
Hugs and Progress


HAPPY BOYS
L on the tractor
El dressed up in Papa's clothes

I have been really blessed over the past few days to start seeing progress. God has opened my eyes more than usual to the progress the boys are making in many areas and it is so exciting to see!

El is the more cautious one, slow to accept, careful with everything. However, once convinced that it is good, he goes to it with all of his being. This is the way he has been with affection. In the orphanage, he was more reserved with us, never saying "I love you", giving obligatory hugs and kisses, etc. Over the past 3 or 4 days, I have noticed a dramatic change in him. From the minute he gets up and sees me, I am showered with neck-choking hugs. Then throughout the day, they occur over and over and over. He'll just run to me, jump up, and totally squeeze the life out of me, saying "Mamka, Mamka". All the while, his beautiful little eyes with his long, dark lashes just sparkle.

We are also making English progress. I was kind of getting down, thinking we were stuck in a rut with English. Then I began realizing just how many English words they do know. We have quite a long list in various different arenas of life. They are still not even close to using full sentences, but I'll hear them singing a song or catch little phrases beginning to come out and it is sounding more normal, less accented. El is a lot clearer than L. I think L has some speech problems. By the way, L has been doing okay. He will go for an endoscope on the 14th of September.

We are making discipline progress. Even though I don't realize this in the midst of a fit of rage, I see it in the overall picture. The other day, after a discipline session (timing in with one of them), the boys and I were cuddling. El hit the bed and said, "Nyet hit". He repeated this over and over and looked for my approval that he was right. We are also managing to handle some issues when they happen without runs to the corner or room and slamming doors. For example, when they hit someone, they are beginning to say "Sorry" after being told, instead of having to go to time out and waiting on their stubborn attitude to change and then going back to say "Sorry". Time out/in is getting shorter sometimes and less violent. Instead of screaming and throwing punches for 20-30 minutes, we're down to 10-20 minutes, sometimes even shorter. They don't like not getting to play for that long of a period of time. I also think they like the mommy cuddling they get afterwards. I always love on them after they take care of any "sorry" saying or picking up they have to do. We've only had a few things broken.

On the colors issue, they're doing much better. The day after my last post, they magically could do their colors with much better accuracy. We had done the color a day thing, etc. They just needed time.

Overall, the biggest joy I have is seeing that they're so happy. Many people that see them comment on how happy they seem. I looked through our adoption journey photo album last night. I saw the frightened faces, cautious looks when we were visiting in the orphanage and when we first arrived home. I know see security in their eyes and it totally blesses my heart. I see joy and happiness, peace. Nothing can replace that. I am so glad they are here with us. I am so thankful for God who chose us to be their parents and to experience this awesome miracle. My heart overflows with love and joy for them.
posted by 6blessings @ 5:24 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 6:37 AM, Blogger Deb said…

    Kim, I'm so happy the boys are doing well. It makes me know that at the end of this long journey Dave & I are in we will have that too. We will have that child that is safe and secure in our arms.

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    You're seeing progress in small steps just like you're supposed to. Sometimes a-parents seem to expect huge miraculous changes. I don't think it usually happens that way. A little progress here, a little setback there, an occasional big leap forward... that's reasonable and that's where you need to find your joy.

    I think El and L sound like they're doing wonderfully. As are you!

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Dawn said…

    They are cute as pie and yes, you can see on their faces how happy they are! I am so happy you have all found each other!

    :-) Dawn

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    It does my heart good to hear your story. I knew they would get the colors with a little bit more time. The behavior as you can see will get better every week. They are adorable.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger sandy said…

    I'm so glad that you've seen such progress. They sound like wonderful boys, and you and your family are caring for them with so much love and patience. I hope things go well for L and his endoscopy, and that he doesn't get too frightened.

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so happy that they are trusting you more and feeling comfortable hugging you and receiving love. They seem to be coming along great! They do look very happy!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue?
First Day of School
Medical Issues/Deep Emotional Pain
One month ago today...
Bloggy Movement
Look, up in the sky! . . .
SopaPILLOW?
It Has Arrived
Reality Issues
New Tastes




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER