Monday, November 06, 2006
The Other Family Sport
As many of you know, our family is made up of small people. We are short and small, except for the two older members of the family who are remaining short, but not so small in their older age. Anyway, when choosing sports to fit our family, we don't go out for basketball or other sports which usually involve taller people. We stick with sports that are geared toward our stature. As mentioned several times previously, the girls have all taken to gymnastics. They are naturally flexible and have the small frames to flip upside down.
However, the boys of the family follow their dad's family tradition of wrestling, another sport for small people. One of D's claims to fame is that he once took down a guy who wrestled in the last Olympics for the United States. His dad's whole side of the family were wrestlers. So, the tradition continues in our home.
I can't say as I took to the sport very well at first. The stands are filled with crazy lunatic parents demanding their child put the other child in tortuous positions and hold them there. In the beginning I didn't see the sport in it at all. J wrestled for the first time last year and I was appalled at my first tournament and just wanted to release my "baby" from the grips of the very aggressive child that was twisting him in knots. After going to more and understanding it better, I am beginning to see the point behind it all, somewhat. Anyway, J really enjoys it. It brings out his "manliness" and it is a family thing that he and his dad do together. D coaches J, just like I coach the girls.
Last year was J's first year and he took a beating several times. He always came up grinning and smiling. He is such a laid back child and nothing bothers him too much. For this reason, he didn't seem very aggressive at first. Last Saturday was his first competition of the season. D had told me that he had gotten better, but I didn't know if it was really true until Saturday. His personality is not one to aggressively pursue anything.
Sure enough, he pinned his first two competitors on Saturday in less than 10 seconds. He was so excited. The second child actually growled at him afterwards, so frustrated that it was already over. Of course, the coach got onto him. D had entered J in two different age divisions. He only had five competitors in the second division(8 and under, J is 6) and he ended up taking second place in that one and winning the medal on his neck in the picture. He had fourteen in the first division(6 and under) and ended up fifth. He did so well and had such a great time.
I guess I better get used to the sport, like it or not. I think my future contains a lot more tournaments. L told his dad last night that he wanted to wrestle and get what J had around his neck. The lowest weight class in wrestling is 37 pounds. The boys only have to gain about 10 more pounds. :-)
Wrestling Champ


Future Wrestlers
(if we could just fit into our singlets)
posted by 6blessings @ 12:05 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Congratulations, J! What a family of athletes you have.

    And that picture of the bwins? Priceless. I see that being shown to future girlfriends.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    So cute. I'm not sure I could handle the wrestling myself. But if that's what they want to do then that's what we'll do.
    J did so well. Congratz!
    How sweet that the boys want to do the same thing.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go Josiah!! We're proud of you! Buddy will be so happy you did so well!!

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My brothers did wrestling too and also watched it on TV. I could never understand it either. It looked awful to me. But to this day my brothers speak fondly of how my Dad took them to a pro wrestling match even though it wasn't my Dad's favorite sport.

    Your kids look ready to roll! I am glad that J found something he enjoys!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 


Name: 6blessings
About Me:

See my complete profile

First Gymnastics Meet
Three Beautiful Words
First Halloween
Some Friday Laughs
Introducing THE BUS
3 months and a little
Yummy Fun
Twinship
Boogars, Kitchens, and Extractions... Oh My!!
Happy 60th Birthday, Mom!!




Adopting 2 From Russia
Family Reunion
Russian Adoption Dva
Russian Adoption Journey
scmountaingirl
The Open Window
Three Sons and a Princess
Worth the Wait
Adventures in Daily Living
Brouilette.blog.city.com
Just Another Day in Paradise
Pisarik's International Adoption Journey
From Russia, with Love
Precious Gifts from God
Russian Adoption
Four Feet More
Smiles and Trials
Renovating Life
Made for a Mission
2Kaz4Sophie
Kendal Hope
Mom on a Mission
Jane-Jane
Rhett's Blog


Free Blogger Templates

With a few tweaks here and there by Margaret

BLOGGER